As an organization at the heart of the financial and capital market, it is B3’s role to foster sustainability best practices among its stakeholders and provide Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) products and services that support its clients during this transition.
We aim to connect sustainability to business, leveraging B3’s strategic objectives, promoting a resilient business environment aligned with the best ESG practices. For the company, sustainability is an essential market practice, which generates value in the long term for our shareholders and other stakeholders.
Considering the importance of the agenda, in 2013, B3’s Board of Directors approved the Socio-Environmental Responsibility Policy, aligned to the company’s strategic principles and seeking to formalize and guide the appropriate activities.
Believing in the value of partnerships, B3 acts as an associate, constituent, member and/or signatory for several institutions and commitments with a focus on ESG discussions. We thus seek to monitor trends and possible regulations that might impact operations and stakeholders, as well as subsidies for the creation of new products and services.
B3 was the first exchange in the world to adhere to the UN Global Compact, in 2004, and the first exchange from an emerging country to commit to the Principles for Responsible Investments (PRI), in 2010. In 2012, it became the founding signatory to the Sustainable Stock Exchanges (SSE) initiative within the scope of the UN and since 2014 has been a member of the World Federation of Exchanges’ Sustainability Working Group (WFE). In regard to the climate agenda, it is a member of the Advisory Board of CDP Latin America.
B3 also seeks to engage companies on the issues of sustainability while preparing them for this new business context, in which ESG factors are as important as economic-financial ones. An example of promoting the agenda is our Corporate Sustainability Index (ISE), which since 2005 has sought to create an investment environment compatible with the demands of sustainable development from contemporary society and to stimulate the ethical responsibility of corporations, in addition to other initiatives.
Since 2009, B3 has published its Annual Report aligned with the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) guidelines. The Annual Report seeks transparent disclosure of our ESG practices, beyond economic performance.
While by their nature B3’s activities have a low environmental impact, it is committed to be aligned with the best ESG practices and to encouraging other companies to do the same. B3 monitors its environmental impacts and implements management, mitigation and transparency initiatives, in which can be highlighted:
- Reporting a Greenhouse Gas Emissions Inventory annually since 2009, with the offset of its emissions since 2013
- Reporting to the CDP (former Carbon Disclosure Project) Climate Change questionnaire since 2009
- Comprising the B3´s Carbon Efficient Index (ICO2) since its launch in 2010
- Implementation of internal selective collection, recycling, ecoefficiency programs and conscious consumption engagement
- Support for the recommendations of the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD): B3´s CEO and CFO engaged
As a socially responsible company, B3 endeavors to attract and retain talents, promote quality of life and to develop its employees. It also encourages diversity, inclusion, gender equality and voluntary work agendas. It is committed to fostering best social practices in its value chain and to promoting private social investment, through B3 Social. Among these initiatives, we highlight:
- The creation of five diversity working groups within the company to discuss proposals and initiatives that promote the issue
- B3 is the first Stock Exchange of the Americas and the sixth in the world to be signatory to the Women’s Empowerment Principles (WEPs)
- Promotes the Ring the Bell for Gender Equality in partnership with the Sustainable Stock Exchange, World Federation of Exchanges and IFC
- B3 Social: created in 2007, for over ten years has developed education, social assistance, sports and socioenvironmental responsibility initiatives. In 2020, the activity focus is switching from operator to financer of education and sport social projects as means of leveraging development and social inclusion.
- B3 Educação: programs aiming to educate investors and train professionals, enhancing the solidity and operating credibility of B3’s markets.
Transparency, responsibility, processes and appropriate controls are essential for a Company’s growth. We assure the best corporate governance practices through:
- A Board of Directors with independent members, market specialists and gender diversity
- Board of Directors support for five committees (Audit Committee, Governance Committee, Products and Pricing Committee, People and Resources Committee and Risk and Financial Committee), which are responsible for guidance in their respective areas of competence
- A Sustainability Committee comprised of CEO, Chief Officers and an external member
- The Policy on Related Party Transactions and Other Conflict of Interest Situations
- Policies and Codes of Conduct
- Corporate risk management with four lines of defense (item 5, CVM’s Reference Form)
- Clear rules, policies and responsibilities for IT incidents
- Adoption of global best practices for responsibility for data security
- Novo Mercado listing
- Inclusion on FTSE4Good Emerging Latin America
Last updated on July 1, 2020